Sunday, February 18, 2024

Wine Tasting 2/18

 

 


 


 


 

Name of Wine: St. James Winery-Pineapple Mango

Varietal: Pineapple and Mango
Region: St. James, Missouri
Country: USA
Year: Not labeled
Price: $8.99
Online Wine Review: I couldn't find any critic reviews online, maybe due to the fact that this is a seasonal wine.

Review:
        Smell- Based on my initial observation of the color, a deep gold, I thought it looked similar to a chardonnay or aged white rioja (https://winefolly.com/deep-dive/complete-wine-color-chart/). When I smelled this wine for the first time it smelled very fruity. Its weird because this is a pineapple mango wine but it smelled very similar to white wine. It definitely has a tropical fruity smell, I can smell a hint of the pineapple, but I can't really smell the mango.
        By itself (7/10)- This wine tasted very similar to the Stella Rosa I tried earlier this week. It was sweet but not overly sweet. It tasted fruity, tropical fruity specifically. I can taste the pineapple for sure, and I am even getting a hint of the mango.
        With food (4/10)- As this wine tasted very similar to a sweet white wine, I decided to pair it with spicy food. I tried it with my fine dining consisting of mini corn dogs with ghost pepper ketchup. Bad idea. It had an overwhelming alcohol/acidic taste. I should've learned from my last tasting that maybe sweet wines with spicy food isn't my thing. I ended up cleansing my pallet with some raspberry black tea and that tasted really good with the food. So maybe the tannins in the black tea was a good thing, and therefore maybe this meal would've been good with a red wine. Now that I'm really thinking about it, corn dogs are pretty fatty foods, and red wines are supposed to go well with fatty food, so maybe red wine was the way to go. This is making me want to venture into red wines so I guess this is a good thing, I was definitely trying to play it safe as a beginner wine drinker/taster and sticking to the sweet white wines.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Tasting 4/13

      Name of Wine:  Barefoot Red Moscato Varietal:  Muscat Region:  Modesto, California Country:  USA Year:  2014 Price:  about $7 Online W...